November 19, 2007
Sign Up Today for the Intramural 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament
Monday, November 19, 2007
Sign Up Today for the Intramural 3-on-3 Basketball
This year's intramural 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament, the Mercy
Tip-Off Classic, will be held on Friday, December 7, beginning at
11:00 a.m. Teams MUST be signed up no later
than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 5, in order to participate.
The event will take place in the Mercy College Gymnasium located
in the south end of Main Hall at the Dobbs Ferry Campus.
Bronx campus students must sign up for transportation at their
Campus Management office no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday,
Teams can sign up by either stopping in at the athletics
department office in the gymnasium, or by emailing the full name
and email address of each team member with the team name to email@example.com. Individuals
without a team may sign up as a free agent and will be placed on a
team based on availability.
Please see complete rules and regulations below prior to signing
up. For questions or more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call
MERCY TIP-OFF CLASSIC
3 on 3 Tournament Rules & Regulations
- All participants/teams must be registered by December 5 and
show a valid Mercy College I.D. at the event. Members of the
varsity basketball teams are not eligible to participate.
- Games will take place in the Mercy College Gymnasium located in
Main Hall at the Dobbs Ferry Campus.
- Basketballs will be provided by the athletics department.
Players are responsible for their own gear.
3. Tournament/Team Format and Forfeit Penalty
- There will be one Open Division and it will be a
double-elimination tournament. Teams must be composed of three (3)
players on the court with a maximum of one substitute. Teams may
consist of any combination of male and female participants.
- A team that does not have three (3) players within 10 minutes
after the announced starting time will forfeit game.
4. Game Rules
- Playing time - will be two halves of eight (8)
minutes running clock with a one (1) minute half-time.
- Coin toss winner - will take first ball
possession. Loser takes possession to start the second half. Ball
possession changes hands after each basket unless a foul occurs.
- Fouls - are called by the intramural staff
member at that basket. Traveling, double-dribble, three seconds or
other offensive violations result in change of possession at the
top of the circle. On defensive fouls, ball is put in play at the
top of the circle.
- Check line is the top of the circle. Players
must put the ball in play from the check line to start each half,
after a score or after a foul is awarded. The ball must be returned
to the check line on defensive rebounds or steals.
- Scoring - Each basket inside the three-point
arc counts as one point. Each basket outside the three-point arc
counts as two points.
- Overtime - In the event of a tie score at the
end of regulation, there will be a two (2) minute running clock
overtime period with first ball possession determined by a coin